U.S. Open: Hairstyles to copy off the court
Julien Farel talks about hair with the same enthusiasm you might find in Roger Federer's voice when he talks about winning a title . . . and that's what makes him perfect for his latest gig.
The French stylist owns two namesake salons in Manhattan and has worked with A-list stars all over the world. But it's this time every year that he really looks forward to, because he gets to spend fast-paced days and nights at the U.S. Open getting tennis stars ready to hit the court (and the after-parties).
Farel will host a pop-up salon at Arthur Ashe Stadium throughout the tournament, where he expects Rafael Nadal, among others, to stop in for a trim.
"I try to give them the competitive edge to shine on the court," he says. "It's about creating that power look and playing up the personality and energy of each player." For the ladies, Farel says a braid is the way to go. "It's a beautiful style, and it doesn't move," he says. "They don't have to worry about anything getting in their face when they're on the court."
For the guys, who Farel notes care about their hair just as much, it's a "South American look" that dominates, he says. "You look at Nadal, Federer, their hair has life to it."
Farel took us through some of the players' hottest looks, and told us how to get them for ourselves.
- | View all
Be the first to rate:Click to rate
More in Shopping
- Super Bowl rings
- LI bakeries that double as cafes
- 10 places to buy an ugly Christmas sweater
- Top 10 worst celebrity looks of 2013
- 98 new stores on LI
- Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013
- Top 10 buzz-worthy new, improved shops of 2013
- Top 10 fashion moments (and trends) of 2013
- 34 gifts that keep on giving
- 15 ways to wear orchid, the color of 2014
- 23 gifts grandparents/parents can use
- X-Team: Black Friday in Riverhead
- Holiday shopping starts early on LI
- 5 shoppers compete for Black Friday deals
- 24 gifts for a new girlfriend, $3.99 and up
- 22 designer, celebrity gifts for less
- 15 gifts for coworkers for $25 or less
- Animal faces a fierce new trend
- Walt Whitman mall unveils renovated look
- 17 gifts for a new boyfriend, $9.50 and up
- Making cider at Jericho Cider Mill
- Jackie Kennedy's best fashion moments
- Long Island cider mills
- 12 ways Black Friday 2013 will be different
- Town of Brookhaven Polar Plunge Santas from around the world
- The 10 best dishes on LI in 2013 Beard Festival on Long Island
- 10 top new sandwiches on LI LI's best pizza: 10 pies worth the drive
- LI bakeries that double as cafes 55 Cheap Eats to try on LI
- The top 10 children's books of 2013 Class clowns at Stand-Up University
- Kid-tested holiday toys 10 places to buy an ugly Christmas sweater
- 10 Roosevelt Field dining options Chadwicks American Chophouse & Bar
- Top 10 worst celebrity looks of 2013 "sat/nite/draw"
- Our favorite candy through the years 21 places kids eat for free on Long Island
- Do you remember these classic toys? 100 things every kid should do on LI
- Top wedding trends of 2013 The weirdest celebrity baby names of 2013
- Plancha Tapas and Wine Bar Holiday Cookie Swap
- 98 new stores on LI Top celebrity engagement rings of 2013
- 13 sumptuous soups on LI 'Frozen' toys make great holiday gifts
- New attractions at LI indoor play spaces Top 10 buzz-worthy new, improved shops of 2013
- Top 10 fashion moments (and trends) of 2013 Theme nights at LI bars and coffeehouses
- 34 gifts that keep on giving 10 best burgers on Long Island
- Places we loved on Long Island 10 best steak houses on LI
- Holiday books for kids Dickens Festival
- 15 ways to wear orchid, the color of 2014 23 gifts grandparents/parents can use
- Trento "Rabble-Rousers: Art, Dissent and Social Commentary"
- Exploring Long Island Bangkok Pavilion
- Christmas events at historic Long Island homes 63 gifts for boys you can buy online
- 'The Hand-Stitched Hamlet' at the Knitted Purl in Oyster Bay X-Team: Black Friday in Riverhead
- X-Team: Thanksgiving Eve 12 things not to buy on Black Friday
- 10 toys for kids with special needs Gingerbread House Competition
- Holiday shopping starts early on LI Dining at Walt Whitman Shops
- 5 shoppers compete for Black Friday deals "Clara's Dream"
- Grab-and-go meals under 500 calories Fiza Family Diner
- 24 gifts for a new girlfriend, $3.99 and up 22 designer, celebrity gifts for less
- Holiday TV specials for kids 15 gifts for coworkers for $25 or less
- Animal faces a fierce new trend New offerings at chain restaurants
- 40 Fine Dining reviews J. Michaels Tuscan Steakhouse
- Tropical hotspots on LI AftermodernisM: Works on Paper
- "A Christmas Carol" on Long Island 17 gifts for a new boyfriend, $9.50 and up
- Eric's Italian Bistro Basketmaking on Long Island