Men's fall fashion
Funny thing, about men's fashion -- trends evolve slowly. We're talking sloooowly. Multiple o's.
So when you hear that burgundy, cardigans and tweed are three strong trends for fall -- which is what analysts are saying this season -- it's hard not to, well, laugh.
Tweed? Cardigans? For FALL?? Stop the presses!!
"Yes, it's true," says Tom Julian, smiling. He works with The Doneger Group, a major name in the fashion forecast biz, and he admits that menswear trends sometimes sound a little yeah-and-what- else-is-new?
For guys, he says, it's not so much what's being worn -- but how.
Burgundy, once relegated to grandpa's fuddy-duddy rep ties and wingtips, is now everywhere, and fired up in saturated shades.
"It used to be a gentleman's dress-up color," says Julian. "Now it's popping up in activewear, casual sportswear -- you name it."
Cardigans, too, a preppy staple, are now doing double-duty as windbreakers or (when worn with a tie) a blazer alternative.
Tweed is also looking fresh thanks to slimmer-cut jackets and overcoats, says Nordstrom fashion director Jorge Valls. Today's tweed has a more youthful vibe, he says, and looks smart paired with a soft messenger bag or duffel -- also hot for fall. "It's a bag your grandfather might have had but used on the weekend -- it feels familiar, and functional," says Valls.
"I have several soft bags," he adds, then laughs. "Come to think of it, I don't really have a traditional briefcase." -- Joseph V. Amodio
More in Shopping
- Kate Middleton's must-see looks
- 101 new stores on LI
- Prom fashion through the years
- Go green: Eco-friendly fashion and beauty
- This year's hottest prom dress trends
- 5 must-shop flea markets in NYC
- 'Mad Men' fashion at Sayville boutique
- 10 hot looks from Peter Som's Kohl's collection
- 15 graphic tops you need in your closet
- 11 spring style trends
- 10 Easter dresses for kids under $30
- The hottest ways to wear denim this spring
- Stylish rain gear for spring
- 14 affordable celeb clothing lines
- Project Prom through the years
- Celebrities wearing L'Wren Scott
- Bellmore's gluten-free Bare Naked Bakery & Cafe
- The best (and worst) looks of awards season
- Celebrity style trend: High fashion glasses
- 17 things to wear on St. Patrick's Day
- 10 cute swimsuits, sunglasses for spring break
- 11 stores with student, teacher discounts
- 5 places to shop in Sayville
- Costumes of Downton Abbey
- 13 sumptuous soups on LI Star Shine performers on Long Island
- They Might Be Giants bassist releases kids' CD Rising stars on Long Island
- 'Mulrooney in the Morning' radio show Long Island Restaurant Week
- 35 kid-friendly things to do this spring on LI Where to see animals on Long Island
- Healthy eating for Long Island families Food photos on Long Island
- Places we loved on Long Island 12 lobster rolls you need to try
- 100 things every kid should do on LI 14 favorite LI breakfast spots
- Easter basket ideas for kids 47 new restaurants on LI
- La Marmite Easter egg hunts and parades on Long Island 2013
- "Landscapes from Metropolis to Arcadia" exhibit 101 new stores on LI
- BK launches Chicken Big King 10 LI spots with great breakfast sandwiches
- Prom fashion through the years Bridal shoes in every hue
- New Easter candy and treats Go green: Eco-friendly fashion and beauty
- 64 Cheap Eats to try on LI Inside Long Island's Soul Sounds Records
- Recent restaurant closures on LI X-Team: Belmont Lake State Park Egg Hunt
- This year's hottest prom dress trends X-Team: Dog Days at Old Westbury Gardens
- 26 spots for homemade ice cream on LI Tracking animals on Long Island
- 2013 Long Island Rabbit Show Sur Argentinian Steakhouse
- Easter brunch spots on LI Pico Tequila Grill
- Horseradish, pickle and garlic festivals on LI French fries on LI: 11 favorites
- 'Mad Men' fashion at Sayville boutique 10 hot looks from Peter Som's Kohl's collection
- 8 top sandwiches on LI Tap dance on Long Island
- 15 graphic tops you need in your closet X-Team: Spring Family Freshwater Fishing Festival
- 11 LI dinner specials worth checking out The 10 best burgers on Long Island
- 14 LI rotisseries with a Latin spin 26 indoor places to play on LI
- 11 spring style trends 49 Fine Dining reviews
- 10 Easter dresses for kids under $30 Where to go for Thai on LI
- The Run or Dye 5K LI's best pizza: 10 pies worth the drive
- Hot new toys of 2014 The hottest ways to wear denim this spring
- 10 toys for kids with special needs Reel
- I-CON convention on Long Island Stan Brodsky exhibit
- Babies, kids' stories gone viral Toy and product recalls for babies, kids
- Delicious dumplings on LI: 10 good bets Designers of Coe Hall