Blow-dry bars pop up across Long Island
Women know the perks of a good hair day--but they also know the frustration of losing a battle with the blow dryer.
“Your hair is the first thing people notice when you walk into a room,” says celebrity hairstylist Julien Farel, who has tamed the manes of powerful women like Ivanka Trump, Nicole Kidman and Maria Sharapova. “If your hair looks good, you feel good… and those around you will notice.”
Farel started offering professional blow dry services at JF Express to draw busy working women into his Fifth Avenue salon, which was at the forefront of a movement that’a spawned fast, affordable hair spots like Drybar and Rachel Zoe’s DreamDry all over Manhattan.
And the winds are blowing east, with six blowout bars now open on Long Island and even more in the works. Some offer makeup applications and extensions, but none so much as utter the words cut or color.
Long Island’s first blow dry bar opened nearly two years ago at Beauty Bar in Manhasset, staffed by stylists from nearby nuBest. But in recent months, they’ve been popping up regularly.
Blo, popular in Manhattan and nationally, opened its first Long Island location last week in Greenvale. Aire Blow Dry Bar opened it’s first spot in October and is planning another at the Walt Whitman Shops in Huntington Station for late November, with 10 more on the Island by the end of 2014.
Women seem to have taken to the concept (so don’t expect you can just walk in, best to make an appointment).
“Just like they get their nails done, we have a lot of women with hard-to-manage hair coming in twice a week for a blowout before work or while their kids are at school,” says Debbie LaVecchia, who opened Blowout22 in Kings Park in June. “They walk out of here ready to conquer the world.” -- Nina Ruggiero
- | View all
Be the first to rate:Click to rate
More in Shopping
- The best (and worst) looks of awards season
- 10 cute swimsuits, sunglasses for spring break
- 11 stores with student, teacher discounts
- 5 places to shop in Sayville
- Costumes of Downton Abbey
- 17 things to wear on St. Patrick's Day
- Spring fashion trend: Wide-leg pants
- 18 fashion moments from the Sochi Olympics
- 100 new stores on LI
- 13 affordable celeb clothing lines
- Celebs model in The Heart Truth Red Dress Show
- Backstage at New York Fashion Week
- Haitian culture on Long Island
- Recent SI swimsuit issue covers
- Celebs at NY Fashion Week
- Hottest runway looks at NY Fashion Week
- Curling fashion at the Olympics
- Chocolate Shops on Long Island
- Celebs model in The Heart Truth Red Dress Show
- Your best bundled-up selfies
- Grammys red carpet
- 15 things to wear to a Super Bowl party
- 6 things that will keep you warm at the Super Bowl
- 30 ways to wear orchid, the color of 2014
- 33 new restaurants on LI X-Team: Huntington St. Patrick’s Day Parade
- 14 favorite LI breakfast spots Food photos on Long Island
- 21 recent restaurant closures Scenes from sustainability film series
- Toy and product recalls for babies, kids New Peninsula
- 21 places kids eat for free on Long Island Do you remember these classic toys?
- Our favorite candy through the years Babies, kids' stories gone viral
- "Garden Party" at Nassau County Museum of Art "Driven to Create: Inspired Art by Self-taught Artists"
- The 10 best lasagnas on LI 14 must-see movies for kids in 2014
- Cilantro Mexican Inspired Food Rising stars on Long Island
- 15 Irish songs for your St. Paddy's playlist 10 cute swimsuits, sunglasses for spring break
- 10 Unique wedding venues on Long Island Cheap Eats to try on LI
- Ringling Bros. 'Legends' comes to LI X-Team: 2014 Long Island Pet Expo
- X-Team: LI Chocolate World Expo Fat Tuesday Celebrations on LI
- 11 stores with student, teacher discounts 5 places to shop in Sayville
- 17 things to wear on St. Patrick's Day "Women of the World"
- Spring fashion trend: Wide-leg pants The Trattoria
- Cuisine delivered to your door 7 Korean dining picks on LI
- Long Island Chocolate World Expo 2013 Mara's Too
- X-Team: Camellia House Weekend The Long Island Pet Expo
- 10 LI spots serving great small plates Paint Nite on Long Island
- Places we loved on Long Island 47 Fine Dining reviews
- 100 new stores on LI J.A. Heneghan's Tavern
- Camellia festival at Planting Fields 'Universal Limited Art Editions'
- Zinburger Wine & Burger Bar Hot new toys of 2014
- 10 best burgers on Long Island "The Not-So-Newlywed Game" comes to Long Island
- 13 affordable celeb clothing lines Haitian culture on Long Island
- Presidential Long Island 100 things every kid should do on LI
- LI's 10 best Italian restaurants Wedding traditions with a twist
- Tullulah's "Body Conscious"
- Your snowmen photos LI restaurant owners in love
- Classic Barbie dolls: 1959-today Butchers Blind performs on LI
- Chennai Dosa 49 Valentine's Day gifts for kids
- 12 restaurants to try with your Valentine The Great Backyard Bird Count
- "Hell's Kitchen" winner's LI wedding Chocolate Shops on Long Island
- Couple celebrates their traditional heritage Winter Olympic sports on Long Island
- Bold looks for brides of all ages French fries on LI: 12 favorites