Fun Presidents Day ideas for kids
The School's Out / Winter Camp at the Center for Science Teaching and Learning in Rockville Centre takes place on Feb. 17-21, 2014. (Credit: Center for Science Teaching and Learning)
Most schools are closed on Monday for Presidents Day, which kicks off the weeklong winter break. So if you're sticking around town for the long weekend, here are a few things to do on Presidents Day, including family friendly performances, crafts, indoor play, free events and more.
1. Celebrate the Winter Olympics at the Maritime Explorium (101 East Broadway, Port Jefferson). Kids can design their own ski jump and test it out from 1-5 p.m. Price: $5.
2. Disney's The Little Mermaid at Bellmore Movies (222 Pettit Ave., Bellmore). Follow a young mermaid willing to give up her life in the sea for the love of a human prince at 11 a.m. Price: $10.
LI'S BEST FOR KIDS: Places to play | Kids' classes | Parks | Birthdays
MORE: Day care finder | Playground search | 100 things to do with kids
CONNECT: Twitter | Facebook | Parent Talk blog
3. Paper Possibilities at Long Island Children's Museum (11 Davis Ave., Garden City). From 1-4 p.m., children ages 3 and up can make a sculpture using a variety of textured paper and other supplies. Price: Free with museum admission ($12).
4. School's Out / Winter Camp at Center for Science Teaching and Learning (1 Tanglewood Rd., Rockville Centre). Children ages 4-12 can experiment with hands-on science and nature activities. There will be live animal explorations, nature discoveries, projects and other activities. Price: $50; registration is required.
5. Washington's Birthday Party at The Whaling Museum and Education Center (301 Main St., Cold Spring Harbor). At 11:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m., children ages 5-12 will learn about whaling in colonial times and create a colonial craft. Price: $6, $5 ages 5-18 and seniors, $19 families.
6. Workshop: Winter Wonderland Snow Globe at Vanderbilt Museum and Planetarium (180 Little Neck Rd., Centerport). Children ages 3 and 4 with a caregiver will make a winter-themed snow globe and visit wildlife dioramas from 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Price: $20.
7. Black History Story Time at Barnes & Noble (91 Old Country Rd., Carle Place). At 11 a.m., kids will listen to a reading of "Henry's Freedom Box" by Ellen Levine and Kadir Nelson, as well as other activities. Price: Free.
8. Disney's Beauty and the Beast Jr. at Smithtown Center for the Performing Arts (2 E. Main St.). This musical based on the 1991 Disney film of the same name follows Belle, who must learn to love an enchanted prince trapped in the body of a beast; showing at 2 p.m. Price: $15.
9. Visit Le Play Cafe, Once Upon a Treetop, Jump and other indoor places to play on Long Island. Here's our complete guide to indoor place spaces.
10. Check out your local library for storytime, crafts, workshops and more.
If you're still looking for ideas, check out 100 things to do with your kids on Long Island.
, things to do