Get the inside scoop on all things kids and parenting on Long Island.
Weekend family fun: Princess tea party, family fishing festival, disco and more
Looking for things to do with the kids this weekend? From fishing and festivals to princesses, disco, gnomes and more, there's much to do on Long Island. Here are my top five picks for fun, family-friendly activities this weekend:
1. Fall Freshwater Fishing and Children's Festival at Hempstead Lake State Park (Southern State Parkway, West Hempstead). Families can enjoy fishing, pumpkin contests, magic shows, face painting, pony rides and more from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. on Saturday. Price: $6 ages 12 and up, $8 per car.
2. Princess Tea Party at Ballet Long Island (1863 Pond Rd., Ronkonkoma). At 1 p.m. on Saturday, children's favorite princesses take the stage for a special performance. There's also a photo opportunity after the show with Cinderella, Snow White, the Little Mermaid and more, along with a tea party. Price: $18 or two for $30.
3. Baby Loves Disco: We Are Family Tour at Broadway Mall (Route 106/107, Hicksville). To celebrate the release of the Baby Loves Disco app for kids, a family dance party will be presented with H&M featuring music and dancers, games, dance contests, crafts, children's spa services, goody bags and more. The free event will be held Saturday in the rotunda in the Ikea wing of the mall.
4. The Ghost of Sleepy Hollow at the Carriage House Theater, Vanderbilt Mansion (180 Little Neck Rd., Centerport). This classic tale comes to life, featuring Ichabod Crane and the Headless Horseman at 1 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Price: $10, $8 children, free up to age 3.
5. Enchanted Trails: Gnome Homes, Hobbit Habitats and Fairy Houses at Inlet Pond County Preserve (Main Road, access off Route 48, Greenport). On Saturday and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., families can take a tour of custom-built fairy habitats and then use natural materials to create their own dwelling. Price: $5 per person, $20 per family. Proceeds will benefit the North Fork Audubon Society.