Get the inside scoop on all things kids and parenting on Long Island.
BloggersJennifer Berger Valerie Kellogg Beth Whitehouse Leema Thomas
Weekend family fun on Long Island: Valentine's Day, Mardi Gras, Chinese New Year and more
Looking for things to do with the kids this weekend? From Valentine's Day crafts and a Chinese New Year Celebration to Mardi Gras fun and more, there's much to do on Long Island. Here are my top five picks for fun, family-friendly activities this weekend:
1. Valentine Paper Making at Garvies Point Museum and Preserve (50 Barry Dr., Glen Cove). Kids can make a special Valentine using recycled paper and dried flowers on Saturday from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Price: $3 adult, $2 ages 5-12, plus $3 craft fee; reservations are required.
2. Sleeping Beauty at Studio Theatre (141 S. Wellwood Ave., Lindenhurst). This musical adaptation of the classic fairy tale blends comedy and enchanting magic as the evil Thornberry puts a curse on Princess Elaine (the sleeping beauty) on Saturday at 2 p.m. Price: $10.
3. Valentine's Day Cookie Decorating Workshop at Guild Hall (158 Main St., East Hampton). On Sunday at 1 p.m., a Citrella pastry chef will provide a cookie decorating lesson to children ages 6-9. Cookies and decorations will be provided. Price: $8.
4. Mardi Gras Gala at Planting Fields Arboretum State Historic Park (1395 Planting Fields Rd., Oyster Bay). Performances, horse and carriage rides, carnival games, colorful Mardi Gras prizes, environmental displays and an animal mask craft for kids and adults on Sunday from 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Price: Free; $5 donation requested.
5. Chinese New Year Celebration at Ward Melville Heritage Organization Educational and Cultural Center (Main Street, Stony Brook). Celebrate the Year of the Snake on Sunday from 1:30-3:30 with drummers, dancing, a nine-foot lion and more. Kids can create a Year of the Snake craft following the performance. Price: $12, $10 seniors and children younger than 12; reservations are required.