Get the inside scoop on all things kids and parenting on Long Island.
BloggersJennifer Berger Valerie Kellogg Beth Whitehouse Leema Thomas Patrick Whittle
Weekend family fun on Long Island: The Ugly Duckling, family winter walks, a trout birthday party, more
Looking for things to do with the kids this weekend? From new twists on classic children's tales to a trout birthday party and a family walk, there's much to do on Long Island. Here are my top five picks for fun, family-friendly activities this weekend:
1. Broadway: Through the Decades at St. Joseph's College (155 W. Roe Blvd., North Patchogue). Kids of all ages are welcome to a cabaret show with performers from Productions Over the Rainbow, Inc., on Friday and Saturday at 7:30 p.m. Price: $25, $20 seniors and students.
2. Family Adventures: First Walk of the New Year at Caleb Smith State Park Preserve (Jericho Turnpike, Smithtown). Dress for the weather and meet at the north side for the first walk of 2013 at 10 a.m. on Saturday. Price: $4, $3 children, younger than 3 free.
3. Cashore Marionettes: Simple Gifts at LIU Tilles Center (Route 25A, Brookville). At 2 p.m. on Sunday, enjoy a performance featuring marionettes and music composed by Vivaldi, Strauss, Beethoven and Copland. Recommended for kids ages 8 and older. Price: $14-$22.
4. The Ugly Duckling & The Tortoise & The Hare at Landmark on Main Street (232 Main St., Port Washington). Two classic children's tales come to life on stage through moving sculpture and dance, set to classical, jazz and pop music on Sunday with shows at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. Price: $18.
5. Trout Birthday Party at the Cold Spring Harbor Fish Hatchery and Aquarium (1660 Route 25A, Cold Spring Harbor). Enjoy birthday cake and refreshments as you celebrate the hatching of the baby trout at 2 p.m. on Sunday. Price: $6, $4 ages 3-12, $4 seniors 65 and older, 2 and younger free.