Get the inside scoop on all things kids and parenting on Long Island.
Weekend family fun on Long Island: 'The Little Princess,' butterflies, festivals and more
Looking for things to do with the kids this weekend? From turtles and butterflies to "The Little Princess, festivals and more, there's much to do on Long Island. Here are my top five picks for fun, family friendly activities this weekend:
1. Tyler's Turtle Time at South Fork Natural History Museum and Nature Center (377 Bridgehampton / Sag Harbor Tpke., Bridgehampton). Learn about turtles and how they live through turtle-inspired games on Saturday from 10-11 a.m. Price: $7, $5 children ages 5-12, children 2 and younger are free; reservations are required.
2. The Little Princess at Studio Theatre (141 S. Wellwood Ave., Lindenhurst). On Saturday at 2 p.m., check out this musical adaptation of the classic by Frances Hodgson Burnett which follows Sara Crewe, an heiress to a large fortune whose life takes a dramatic turn when she receives news of the loss of her father and her fortune. Price: $12 ($10 in advance).
3. Shake, Rattle and Roll: Make Your Own Rainstick at Maritime Explorium. Using natural and recycled materials, kids can create their own musical rain sticks on Saturday and Sunday from 1-5 p.m. Price: $5.
4. International Children's Day at Madison Theatre at Molloy College (1000 Hempstead Tpke., Rockville Centre). On Sunday from noon- 4 p.m., kids can visit with Elmo, Spider-Man and a clown while enjoying free toys, cotton candy, balloon animals, face painting, a magic show, food, entertainment and more. Price: $15; children 3 and younger are free; must register.
5. Beautiful Butterflies at Sands Point Preserve (127 Middle Neck Rd., Sands Point). Kids and adults alike can see the transformation from egg to butterfly and learn how to attract them to your garden on Sunday with two sessions: 11 a.m.-noon and noon-1 p.m. Price: $10 per car.