Get the inside scoop on all things kids and parenting on Long Island.
BloggersJennifer Berger Valerie Kellogg Beth Whitehouse Leema Thomas
Weekend family fun on Long Island: Strawberry Festival, Harborfest and more
Looking for things to do with the kids this weekend? From a strawberry festival to a beach scavenger hunt, nautical craft fair and more, there's much to do on Long Island. Here are my top five picks for fun, family friendly activities this weekend:
1. Nassau County Strawberry Festival at Nassau BOCES (2351 Jerusalem Ave., North Bellmore). Located on Newbridge Road in North Bellmore, kids and adults can enjoy fresh strawberries and other confections along with rides, crafts, games and live entertainment. The festival begins tonight from 6-10 p.m.; Friday, 6-11 p.m.; Saturday, noon-11 p.m. and Sunday, noon-8 p.m. Price: $2 admission Friday-Sunday, free for children younger than 5; fee for rides varies.
2. Beach Scavenger Hunt at South Fork Natural History Museum and Nature Center (377 Bridgehampton / Sag Harbor Tpke., Bridgehampton). On Saturday at 10:30 a.m., children ages 3-5 can complete a puzzle by finding natural objects around the beach including shells, gull feathers and more. Reservations are required. Price: $7 adults, $5 children ages 3-12.
3. Zen Gardens at Long Island Children's Museum (11 Davis Ave., Garden City). Create and care for your own Zen rock garden, which is an ancient Buddhist tradition used for meditation on Sunday from 2-4 p.m. Just add rocks, moss and sand to your garden, and design a special rake to care for it. Price: Free with museum admission ($12).
4. An Afternoon at Edwards Farm at Sayville Historical Society (Edwards Street and Collins Avenue; Sayville). Kids can learn to churn ice cream, plant seeds and more on Sunday from 1-4 p.m. Before you leave you can take a tour of the herb garden. Price: $4 per person, $15 per family.
5. Harborfest Dock Day and Craft Festival at Port Washington Dock (Lower Main Street, Port Washington). On Sunday from 10 a.m.-5 p.m., check out a nautical exhibit, talent show, crafts, live music, kayaking, food, children's activities and more. Continuous rides onboard a water taxi and cruise on the tall ship, SoundWaters will also be available. Price: Free for festival, fee for water taxi and cruise.