Get the inside scoop on all things kids and parenting on Long Island.
Weekend family fun on Long Island: St. Rocco's Feast, Paumanauke Pow Wow and more
Looking for things to do with the kids this weekend? From butterflies and a juggling show to St. Rocco's feast, performances and more, there's much to do on Long Island. Here are my top five picks for fun family-friendly activities this weekend:
1. Feast of St. Rocco at the Church of St. Rocco (18 Third St., Glen Cove). Rides, games and food for the whole family on Thursday and Friday from 6-11 p.m., Saturday from 3-11 p.m. and Sunday from 3-10 p.m. A children's show will take place on Saturday at 4 p.m. Price: Free; fees for rides, games and food.
2. The Butterfly House at Sweetbriar Nature Center (62 Eckernkamp Dr., Smithtown). Children will learn the various stages of the butterfly's life cycle and have a chance to view more than 200 butterflies. Then, kids can search for butterfly clues and color a butterfly craft to take home on Friday through Sunday from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Price: $3 adults and children 12 and up, $2 seniors and children ages 11 and younger.
3. The Jester Jim Show at Shorefront Park Bandshell (Smith St., Patchogue). A family-friendly juggling show and beatbox introduction on Saturday at 7 p.m. Be sure to bring blankets or lawn chairs. Price: Free.
4. Paumanauke Pow Wow at Babylon Town Hall Park (200 E. Sunrise Hwy., Lindenhurst). On Saturday from 10 a.m.-10 p.m. and on Sunday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., families can enjoy Aztec and traditional dancers, drums and entertainment, native food and more. There will be audience participation and dance competitions as well. Bring chairs — it's rain or shine. Price: $10; $5 ages 12-16 and 60 and older, free younger than 12.
5. Explore Nanotechnology: The Science of the Very Small at Maritime Explorium (101 East Broadway, Port Jefferson). Learn how to measure the power of the sun with your very own UV bracelet on Thursday through Sunday from 1-5 p.m. Price: $5.