Get the inside scoop on all things kids and parenting on Long Island.
BloggersJennifer Berger Valerie Kellogg Beth Whitehouse Leema Thomas Patrick Whittle
Weekend family fun on Long Island: Sesame Street Live, fall festivals, pet parade and more
Looking for things to do with the kids this weekend? From Sesame Street Live and Cinderella to fall festivals, a pet parade and more, there's much to do on Long Island. Here are my top five picks for fun family-friendly activities this weekend:
1. Hallockville Fall Festival and Craft Show at Hallockville Museum Farm (6038 Sound Ave., Riverhead) Kids and adults can explore demonstrations of traditional crafts, including basket weaving, quilting, rug hooking and wood carving along with hayrides, pony rides, a petting zoo, children's games, food and more on Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Price: $7 adult, $5 ages 5-12 , free ages 5 and younger; additional fee for pony rides.
2. Sesame Street Live: Make a New Friend at Nassau Coliseum (1255 Hempstead Tpke., Uniondale) Elmo, Grover, Abby Cadabby and their Sesame Street pals welcome Chamki, Grover's friend from India. Together, they explore fun and friendship through singing, dancing and more. Show times: Friday at 10:30 a.m., Saturday at 10:30 a.m. and 2 p.m., Sunday at 10:30 a.m., 1 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. Price: $22-$100.
3. Long Island Pet Expo at Tanner Park (Kerrigan Road, off Montauk Highway, Copiague) On Saturday and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., watch a parade of breeds, a pet costume contest, a petting zoo, vendors with pet-related products and more. Price: Free.
4. FamilyFest at North Hempstead Beach Park (West Shore Road, off Roslyn Road, Port Washington) Pack up your family and head to this family festival featuring sand castle building, kayaking, wildlife presentations, arts and crafts, kite flying, face painting, live entertainment, food and more on Sunday from noon to 5:30 p.m. Price: Free, $5 parking fee.
5. Cinderella’s Glass Slipper at Smithtown Center for the Performing Arts (2 East Main St., Smithtown) On Saturday at 2 p.m. and Sunday at 11 a.m., join Cinderella, her cruel stepmother, silly stepsisters, Brunhilda and Cleopatra, the Fairy Godmother and of course the prince in this classic tale featuring songs by Bill Francoeur. Price: $15.