Get the inside scoop on all things kids and parenting on Long Island.
Weekend family fun on Long Island: Reindeer, menorah lighting, "The Nutcracker" and more
Looking for things to do with the kids this weekend? From reindeer and angels to menorah lighting, holiday parties, "The Nutcracker" and more, there's much to do on Long Island. Here are my top five picks for fun, family-friendly activities this weekend:
1. Live Reindeer at Hicks Nurseries (100 Jericho Tpke., Westbury) Besides visiting with Santa, you can enjoy the animated Santa Story walk-through exhibit as well as visit with reindeer for free daily from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Sunday.
2. It's All About the Angels at Rogers Mansion (17 Meeting House Lane, Southampton) Create angels from wool roving along with a reading and book signing with Adrienne Falzon, author of "What Is An Angel" on Saturday at 10 a.m. Perfect for children ages 7-12; refreshments will be served; must register. Price: $5.
3. Ballet Long Island: the Nutcracker in a Nutshell at Islip Town Hall West (401 Main St., Islip). On Saturday at 1, join the mice, dolls, angels, snowflakes and, of course, the Sugar Plum Fairy in this shorter version of Tchaikovsky's “The Nutcracker." Prices start at $25.
4. Hanukkah Spectacular and Menorah Lighting at the Plainview Center in Plainview. The festivities begin at 5:15 p.m. on Sunday with the menorah lighting at 6:50 p.m. Kids and adults alike will enjoy an acrobat show, Hanukkah crafts, a Lego menorah-building contest, a pizza party, doughnuts and more. The event is free but must reserve tickets in advance for the show.
5. Holiday Tales at the Hearth at Sands Point Preserve (127 Middle Neck Rd., Sands Point) On Sunday at noon, enjoy holiday-inspired stories and a children's party with festive refreshments. Bring your wish lists and letters for Santa; event will be held at the Hempstead House. Price: $10 per car, free with annual pass.