Get the inside scoop on all things kids and parenting on Long Island.
BloggersJennifer Berger Valerie Kellogg Beth Whitehouse Leema Thomas Patrick Whittle
Weekend family fun on Long Island: Railroad festival, 'The Little Mermaid,' sailing and more
Looking for things to do with the kids this weekend? From the Railroad and Scottish festivals to sailing, ocean arts and crafts and more, there's much to do on Long Island. Here are my top five picks for fun family-friendly activities this weekend:
1. Riverhead Railroad Festival at the Railroad Museum of Long Island (416 Griffing Ave., Riverhead). Check out the historic Lionel toy train layout, ride the 1964-1965 LIRR Pavillion's World's Fair train along with exhibits, vendors, food and more on Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Price: $8, $5 ages 5-12, free younger than 5.
2. Long Island Scottish Festival and Highland Games at Old Westbury Gardens (71 Old Westbury Rd., Old Westbury). On Saturday from 8 a.m.-4 p.m., families can enjoy bagpipe music, dancing, Celtic vendors, Scottish food and more. The Children's Tent includes storytime, a magician and Highland dancing lessons. Price: $15, $12 seniors 62 and older, $7 ages 7-17, free 6 and younger.
3. Explore the Shore at Maritime Explorium (101 East Broadway, Port Jefferson). Kids can design a seascape to house their favorite sea creature while learning about the ocean on Friday through Sunday from 1-5 p.m. Price: $5.
4. Afternoon Sails at the Railroad Dock (end of 3rd Street, Greenport). Kids and adults can enjoy sailing on the 80' Schooner and work together to raise the sails and learn about the diversity of life beneath the waves on Friday-Sunday from 2-4 p.m. Price: $35, $25 children ages 5-12; registration is required.
5. Long Island Puppet Theater presents The Little Mermaid: It's a Whole New World at the Long Island Children's Museum (11 Davis Ave., Garden City). On Sunday at 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m., children ages 3 and up can watch a colorful marionette production of this classic Disney film. Price: $5 with museum admission ($12).