Get the inside scoop on all things kids and parenting on Long Island.
Weekend family fun on Long Island: Mother's Day events and more
Looking for things to do with the kids this weekend? After celebrating Mother's Day, pack up the family and meet Buzz Aldrin, explore the outdoors and head to a performance of "The Little Princes." Here are my top five picks for fun, family friendly activities this weekend:
1. Meet Buzz Aldrin at Cradle of Aviation (Charles Lindbergh Blvd., Garden City). Astronaut Buzz Aldrin will be signing his new book "Mission to Mars: My Vision for Space Exploration" on Saturday at noon, along with a discussion about the Apollo 11 lunar mission. He will also be signing his children's book "Look to the Stars." Price: $20.
2. Spa Science with Mom at Long Island Science Center (11 W. Main St., Riverhead). On Saturday from 3-5 p.m., learn about spa products and make your own soap, bath frizz and lip balm. Lunch and sparkling punch will be provided. Price: $22 per parent/child, $16 each additional child; you must register.
3. Make a Mother's Day Message in a Bottle at Maritime Explorium (101 East Broadway, Port Jefferson). Children can create a message in a bottle for someone special for Mother's Day on Saturday and Sunday from 1-5 p.m. Price: $5.
4. The Little Princess at Studio Theatre (141 S. Wellwood Ave., Lindenhurst). This musical adaptation of the classic by Frances Hodgson Burnett follows Sara Crewe, a heiress to a large fortune whose life takes a dramatic turn when she receives news of the loss of her father, and her fortune on Saturday at 2 p.m. Price: $12 ($10 in advance)
5. Watercolor Wonders at Connetquot River State Park Preserve (Sunrise Highway, Oakdale). Create a watercolor collage using wildflowers and wildlife on Sunday from 1:30-3 p.m. Price: $4, $3 children, free ages 3 and younger; reservations required.