Get the inside scoop on all things kids and parenting on Long Island.
Weekend family fun on Long Island: Fireworks, 'Goodnight Moon,' crayon tour and more
Looking for things to do with the kids this weekend? From a fireworks display and a crayon tour to a "Goodnight Moon" performance and more, there's much to do on Long Island. Here are my top five picks for fun family-friendly activities this weekend:
1. TD Bank Celebrate America Fireworks and Show at Harry Chapin Lakeside Theater of Eisenhower Park (Hempstead Turnpike and Merrick Ave., East Meadow). Kids and adults alike can enjoy a performance from Dean Karahalis and the Concert Pops as well as the '80s dance band, Somethin's Fresh followed by a Grucci fireworks display at sundown on Saturday at 5 p.m. Be sure to bring blankets, chairs and a picnic dinner. Park in Fields 6 and 6a. Price: Free tickets available at TD Bank locations.
2. Crayon Tour at Old Westbury Gardens (71 Old Westbury Rd., Old Westbury). Kids ages 4 to 12 can learn about the process of crayon creation, bee life including wax and the inspiration behind some of crayon's colors on Saturday at noon. Price: Free with admission.
3. Explore the Science of Ice Cream at Maritime Explorium (101 East Broadway, Port Jefferson). On Saturday and Sunday from 1-5 p.m., kids can learn how to make their own batch of ice cream. Price: $5.
4. Goodnight Moon at John W. Engeman Theater (250 Main St., Northport). Bestselling children's book by Margaret Wise Brown comes to life in this musical adaptation with music, dancing and puppetry on Saturday at 11 a.m. and Sunday at 10:30 a.m. Price: $15.
5. Family Adventures: Butterfly Safari at Caleb Smith State Park Preserve (Jericho Turnpike, Smithtown). On Sunday, children ages 5 and older can learn about the butterfly's life, make a craft and then explore the butterfly garden on Sunday from 1:30-3 p.m. Price: $4 adults, $3 children; parking fee may apply; registration is required.