Get the inside scoop on all things kids and parenting on Long Island.
Weekend family fun on Long Island: Crafts, festivals, fundraisers and more
Looking for things to do with the kids this weekend? From family fall festivals and crafts to fun fundraisers and more, there's much to do on Long Island. Here are my top five picks for family-friendly activities this weekend:
1. Kids for Kyle at Smith Field Park (190 Smith Rd., Ronkonkoma) on Saturday, Oct. 12 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Not only does this event feature tons of games, monster trucks, pumpkin picking and a bounce house, it also benefits a good cause. All of the proceeds will help fight cystic fibrosis. Price: $2
2. RISE of the Jack O'Lanterns at Old Westbury Gardens (71 Old Westbury Rd., Old Westbury) on Friday, Oct. 11, Saturday Oct. 12 and Sunday, Oct. 13 from 7 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. See more than 5,000 hand-carved and illuminated jack o’lanterns light up the night. The outdoor walk-through features the work of dozens of local artists and sculptors. Suitable for all ages, rain or shine. Must advance reserve.
3. Montauk Fall Festival at Montauk Chamber of Commerce (742 Montauk Hwy., Montauk) on Saturday, Oct. 12 and Sunday, Oct. 13 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Features pumpkin decorating, carnival games, pony rides and more.
4. Haunted House and Family Fun Festival at Eisenhower Park (Hempstead Turnpike and Merrick Avenue, East Meadow) on Friday, Oct. 11 from 6:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 12 from 4 p.m. to 11 p.m. and Sunday, Oct. 13 from 6:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. Kids can enjoy magic shows, a zombie maze, laser tag, hay rides, pumpkin decorating, balloon twisting, carnival games and more.
5. Second Saturdays: Viva l'Art at the Hofstra University Museum Emily Lowe Gallery (Hempstead Turnpike, Hempstead) on Saturday, Oct. 12 from 1:30 p.m.-2:30 p.m. Children ages 4-10 can create collages and drawings while learning about famous artists such as Pablo Picasso and Salvador Dali.