Get the inside scoop on all things kids and parenting on Long Island.
Saint Patrick's Day craft for kids: Leprechauns
Even if you can't catch a leprechaun on March 17, you can still make one. Get into the spirit of Saint Patrick's Day with a fun craft from Spoonful.com, a Disney website filled with thousands of crafts, games and recipes for children and families.
What you'll need
- Toilet paper tube
- Green craft foam
- Acrylic paints: green, skin-tone, pink, and brown
- Black permanent marker
- Tacky glue
- 4 brown pipe cleaners
- Decorative button
1. First trace around the end of a toilet paper tube onto a piece of green craft foam.
2. Draw a 2 1/2-inch circle around the first circle, then cut them both out to create a hat top and brim and set them aside.
3. Next, paint the paper tube green using acrylic paints. Add a skin-tone face and hands, rosy cheeks and a band of brown paint around the back for hair.
4. Once the paint has dried, use a permanent marker to draw on facial and clothing details, then use tacky glue to stick on three coiled brown pipe cleaners: two in the back for hair and one around the face for a beard. For feet, fold another pipe cleaner in half, then tightly coil and pinch the ends.
5. Place the folded pipe cleaner inside the tube and glue the feet to the edge. Glue on the hat top and brim, and a 5 1/2- by 1/2-inch strip of craft foam for arms.
6. Finally, glue a decorative button to the hat brim.