Get the inside scoop on all things kids and parenting on Long Island.
BloggersJennifer Berger Valerie Kellogg Beth Whitehouse Leema Thomas
New 'Sesame Street' snack recipes on the iCookbook app
In my ongoing quest to find tasty, kid-friendly food appropriate for the whole family, this week I chose a healthy after-school snack or a dinner side dish. I found the recipe in a new section of the iCookbook 3.1 app called "Sesame Street Silly Snacks Collection," which features 20 kid-friendly snack ideas from Elmo, Big Bird, Cookie Monster and more. Each recipe includes parent tips, fun facts and cooking steps designed for kids.
The iCookbook 3.1 app also features more than 2,100 recipes, a voice-command technology to advance a recipe’s instructions completely hands-free, the ability to create shopping lists, how-to videos and more.
The "Sesame Street Silly Snacks Collection" is available for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch for $2.99 in the iTunes App Store. Here's a sample recipe from Grover that you can find in the collection.
(Makes 3-4 servings)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 Asian eggplant or 1 small globe eggplant
- 1⁄2 cup whole-grain Italian-seasoned dry bread crumbs
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Marinara sauce (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Scramble the egg and water in a shallow dish.
2. Kids can smooth the bread crumbs into an even layer in another shallow dish.
3. Cut the ends off the eggplant. Asian eggplants do not require peeling. If you are using a globe eggplant, peel it if the skin seems tough. Cut the eggplant into sticks about 3 inches long and 1⁄2 inch wide.
4. Kids can coat the eggplant sticks in egg, then roll them in bread crumbs. Arrange the sticks on the baking pan and spray with cooking spray.
5. Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until eggplant is tender and lightly browned.
6. Serve with marinara sauce for dipping if you wish.
Recipe © Publications International, Ltd. © 2013 Sesame Workshop. “Sesame Street” and its logo are trademarks of Sesame Workshop. All rights reserved.