Get the inside scoop on all things kids and parenting on Long Island.
Labor Day crafts for kids: Star-spangled wavers
Get the kids involved with this fun Labor Day crafts project. Here you'll find step-by-step directions for these festive batons, which promise to be the stars of your Labor Day celebration. I found the project on Spoonful.com, a new website from Disney that's filled with thousands of crafts, games and recipes for children and families.
What you'll need
- Pieces of red, white, and blue felt
- Red, white, and blue ribbons (available at local crafts stores)
- Tacky glue
- 3/8-inch dowel
How to make it
1. Cut a pair of 6-inch stars from red, white or blue felt.
2. Cut a slightly smaller pair (ours were 4 inches across) from a different color of felt, and an even smaller pair (ours were 3 inches across) from the third color.
3. Use tacky glue to affix the stars to each other. Glue together the two sets of stars, sandwiching a 3/8-inch dowel between them.
4. Allow the glue to dry, then finish the baton by tying a length of red, white and blue ribbon around the dowel.