Get the inside scoop on all things kids and parenting on Long Island.
BloggersJennifer Berger Valerie Kellogg Beth Whitehouse Leema Thomas Patrick Whittle
Fourth of July weekend events for kids on Long Island
Looking for things to do with the kids besides hitting the beach or heading to barbecues? From carnivals and crafts to performances, Fourth of July celebrations and more, there's so much to do on Long Island. Here are 8 fun, family-friendly activities this weekend:
1. Stars and Stripes Festival at the Talfor Boat Basin (Main and Front streets; East Rockaway). Kids and adults will enjoy games, entertainment, a petting zoo, carnival and water rides, vendors and more on Friday 6-11 p.m., Saturday, noon-11 p.m. and Sunday, noon-8 p.m. Fireworks at 9:30 p.m. on Saturday. Price: Free, $25 P.O.P for rides.
2. Hot Dog Pig Races at the Long Island Game Farm (Chapman Boulevard, LIE exit 70, Manorville). Cheer on the Hollywood Hog All-Star, The Royal Pigs of Hamelot, International Stunt Team, Hot Dog Pig Racing Team and The Super Hot Dog Team as the pigs compete in five races each show on Thursday-Sunday at 12:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. Price: $18.95, $16.95 for seniors and children 3-11, free for children under 3.
3. Peconic Bay Medical Center Family Festival on Route 25A (across from CVS, Wading River). On Thursday-Sunday from 6-11 p.m., families can enjoy rides, games, food and fireworks on Saturday at 9 p.m. Price: Free admission, $30 P.O.P. rides.
4. Children's Summer Performance: Robin Austin Magic Show at Heckscher State Park (end of Heckscher Parkway, East Islip). Bring chairs and a blanket while you enjoy an interactive magic show on Saturday at 1 p.m. Price: Free, $10 vehicle fee.
5. Goodnight Moon at John W. Engeman Theater (250 Main St., Northport). Bestselling children's book by Margaret Wise Brown comes to life in this musical adaptation with music, dancing and puppetry on Saturday at 11 a.m. and Sunday at 10:30 a.m. Price: $15.
6. Young Naturalists Butterfly Discovery at Stillwell Woods Preserve (South Woods Road, Syosset). Take a walk with the Huntington-Oyster Bay Audubon Society and look for butterflies on Saturday at 9:30 a.m. Price: Free.
7. Photo Safari Race: You Can't Take It With You at Sagamore Hill National Historic Site (Sagamore Hill Road, Cove Neck). On Sunday from noon-4 p.m., join naturalist Lois Lindberg as she leads a nature walk at noon followed by a leaf rubbing activity. Price: Free.
8. Sea Faire at Glen Cove Waterfront (73 Garvies Point Rd., Glen Cove). Peruse arts and crafts tents while enjoying Italian and carnival food on Saturday from 10 a.m.-10 p.m. and Sunday from 11 a.m.-9 p.m. As part of the nautical theme there will be a treasure hunt with info on the sunken Regina Maris (a three-masted topsail schooner), plus rides, games, music and fireworks on Saturday. Price: Free admission, $30 P.O.P. rides.