Get the inside scoop on all things kids and parenting on Long Island.
BloggersJennifer Berger Valerie Kellogg Beth Whitehouse Leema Thomas Patrick Whittle
Feeding the kids: Sour cream apple pie
In my ongoing quest to find tasty, kid-friendly food appropriate for the whole family, this week I chose a tasty dessert, perfect for Thanksgiving. I found the recipe in "The Big Book of Pies & Tarts," by Betty Crocker (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt; $19.99).
Sour Cream Apple Pie
(Makes 8 servings)
For the crust:
- 1 refrigerated pie crust, like Pillsbury, softened as directed on box
For the filling:
- 1 1/4 cups sour cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 egg
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled baking apples, 6 medium (see tip below)
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
1. Heat oven to 400°F. Place pie crust in 9-inch glass pie plate as directed on box.
2. In large bowl, beat all filling ingredients except apples with whisk until well blended. Stir in apples. Spoon filling into crust-lined plate. Cover crust edge with pie shield ring or strips of foil to prevent excessive browning.
3. Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F; bake 30 minutes longer.
4. Meanwhile, in medium bowl, mix all topping ingredients except butter. Cut in butter, using pastry blender or fork, until mixture looks like coarse crumbs; refrigerate until ready to use.
5. Sprinkle topping over pie. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Cool on cooling rack at least 2 hours before serving. Store covered in refrigerator.
The best baking apples are slightly tart. Top choices are Granny Smith, Braeburn, Cortland, Northern Spy and Rome Beauty.
Recipes and Photos from BETTY CROCKER,THE BIG BOOK OF PIES & TARTS. Copyright © 2013 by General Mills, Minneapolis, Minnesota. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.