Get the inside scoop on all things kids and parenting on Long Island.
Feeding the kids: Pina Colada pancakes
In my ongoing quest to find tasty, kid-friendly food appropriate for the whole family, this week I chose a fun and healthy spin on pancakes. The recipe is courtesy of celebrity chef George Duran host of TLC's "Ultimate Cake Off."
Pina Colada Pancakes
(makes 10-12 pancakes)
-1 cup pancake mix
-1/4 cup coconut milk
-1/2 cup syrup from can of pineapple chunks
-1/4 cup canned pineapple chunks
-sweetened coconut flakes, toasted (optional)
1. In a medium bowl make pancake batter by mixing pancake mix, coconut milk and pineapple syrup until well blended.
2. Heat a non-stick griddle (such as Imusa) on low heat, then add 1/3 cup of batter.
3. Gently press about eight pineapple chunks with your finger throughout the pancake and let cook about one minute.
4. Carefully flip pancake, making sure that the chunks don’t come off, and cook for another minute.
5. Keep warm in a toaster oven set at 200 degrees F. until ready to serve. Top with warmed maple syrup and toasted coconut flakes.