Get the inside scoop on all things kids and parenting on Long Island.
Feeding the kids: PB & J Pancake Layer Cake
In my ongoing quest to find tasty, kid-friendly food appropriate for the whole family, this week I chose a fun twist on a childhood favorite. I found the recipe on mom.me, an online destination for moms that provides real-world advice and lifestyle content.
PB & J Pancake Layer Cake
(Makes 8 to 10 servings)
- 5 cups buttermilk complete pancake mix (like Krusteaz)
- 3 cups cold water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Peanut butter
- Jam, jelly or preserves (your favorite)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Spray a 13 x 18 x 1-inch baking pan with oil, line it with parchment paper and spray it with a butter spray.
3. In a bowl, combine the pancake mix, water and vegetable oil. Stir to combine; some lumps are OK.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 24 to 26 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
5. Allow the cake to cool completely, remove from the pan and slice into four equal pieces. Frost a layer of cake with peanut butter and jelly, top with another piece of cake and continue until you've used every piece of cake. Top with peanut butter and jelly.