Get the inside scoop on all things kids and parenting on Long Island.
Feeding the kids: Pasta Primavera
In my ongoing quest to find tasty, kid-friendly food appropriate for the whole family, this week I chose a delicious, easy-to-prepare dinner dish. I found the recipe in "KewlBites: 100 Nutritious, Delicious and Family-Friendly Dishes" by teen star Reed Alexander (Rodale Books; $21.99).
(Makes 4 servings)
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick semicircles
- 2 medium yellow squash, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick semicircles
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon herbes de Provence
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 12 ounces whole grain rotini or other similarly shaped pasta
- 3 medium shallots, sliced into thin rings
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 2 cups grape tomatoes (red, yellow or combination), sliced in half
- 1/2 cup packed minced fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus extra for garnish
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Zest of 1 lemon
1. Preheat the over to 450° F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. In a large bowl, toss the zucchini and squash with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, herbes de Provence and garlic powder. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, or until tender and slightly browned.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook according to package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside in a large mixing bowl.
3. Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and browned, 10 minutes.
4. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the tomatoes. Cook until their juices begin to release, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the zucchini/squash mixture and the mushroom/tomato mixture to the pasta, along with the parsley. Gently toss to combine.
5. Serve warm, garnished with parsley, 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese and lemon zest.
Reprinted from "KewlBites" by Reed Alexander. Copyright (c) 2013 by Reed Alexander. By permission of Rodale Books. Available wherever books are sold.