Get the inside scoop on all things kids and parenting on Long Island.
BloggersJennifer Berger Valerie Kellogg Beth Whitehouse Leema Thomas
Feeding the kids: Kiwi and strawberry flan
In my ongoing quest to find tasty, kid-friendly food appropriate for the whole family, this week I chose a delicious, fruity dessert. I found the recipe in "150 Best Desserts in a Jar," by Andrea Jourdan (Robert Rose; $24.95).
Kiwi and Strawberry Flan
(Makes 4 servings)
What you'll need
- 4 8-ounce jars, buttered
- 4 kiwi, peeled
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Cut each kiwi into thin slices and place in the bottom of each jar.
3. In a bowl, combine flour, cornstarch and salt.
4. In a large bowl, whisk eggs and sugar until foamy. Gradually whisk in flour mixture. Mix in sour cream, jam and vanilla. Pour over kiwis, dividing equally.
5. Place jars in baking pan, spaced evenly apart and not touching the sides of the pan and add enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the jars. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until flan is no longer wobbly. Remove from oven. Transfer to a wire rack and cool for five minutes before serving.
Excerpted from 150 Best Dessert Recipes by Andrea Jourdan © 2013 Robert Rose Inc. robertrose.ca. Reprinted with publisher permission.