Get the inside scoop on all things kids and parenting on Long Island.
BloggersJennifer Berger Valerie Kellogg Beth Whitehouse Leema Thomas Patrick Whittle
Feeding the kids: Easy mini breakfast sausage pies
In my ongoing quest to find tasty, kid-friendly food appropriate for the whole family, this week I chose an easy breakfast dish, a perfect way to kick off the New Year. I found the recipe in "The Big Book of Pies & Tarts," by Betty Crocker (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt; $19.99).
Impossibly Easy Mini Breakfast Sausage Pies
6 servings (2 mini pies each)
Ingredients for sausage mixture
- 3/4 pound bulk pork breakfast sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 can (4 oz) mushroom pieces and stems, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 oz)
Ingredients for baking mixture
- 1/2 cup Original Bisquick mix
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
1. Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 12 regular-size muffin cups with cooking spray.
2. In 10-inch skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sausage is no longer pink; drain. Cool 5 minutes; stir in mushrooms, salt, sage and cheese.
3. In medium bowl, stir baking mixture ingredients with whisk or fork until blended. Spoon slightly less than 1 tablespoon baking mixture into each muffin cup. Top each with about 1/4 cup sausage mixture and 1 tablespoon baking mixture.
4. Bake about 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and tops are golden brown. Cool 5 minutes. With thin knife, loosen sides of pies from pan; remove from pan and place top side up on cooling rack. Cool 10 minutes longer before serving.
Recipes and Photos from BETTY CROCKER,THE BIG BOOK OF PIES & TARTS. Copyright © 2013 by General Mills, Minneapolis, Minnesota. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.