Get the inside scoop on all things kids and parenting on Long Island.
Feeding the kids: Cornmeal chicken with mango-peach salsa
In my ongoing quest to find tasty, kid-friendly food appropriate for the whole family, this week I chose an easy weekday dinner idea. I found the recipe in the "Betty Crocker Cookbook, 11th Edition: Box Tops for Education Special Edition," by Betty Crocker (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt; $29.99).
Crunchy Cornmeal Chicken with Mango-Peach Salsa
(Makes 4 servings)
For the mango-peach salsa
- 3 medium peaches, peeled, chopped (1 1/2 cups)*
- 1 ripe large mango, seed removed, peeled and chopped (1 1/2 cups)*
- 1 large tomato, seeded, chopped (1 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the chicken
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/4 pound)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. In large bowl, mix all salsa ingredients. Cover; refrigerate until serving.
2. In shallow dish, mix cornmeal, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Coat chicken with cornmeal mixture.
3. In 10-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook chicken in oil 15 to 20 minutes, turning once, until juice of chicken is clear when center of thickest part is cut (at least 165°F). Serve with salsa.
* 3 cups chopped frozen (thawed) sliced peaches can be substituted for the fresh peaches.
* Jarred mango slices, well drained, can be substituted for the fresh mango.
Recipes and photos from BETTY CROCKER, Betty Crocker Cookbook, 11th Edition: Box Tops for Education Special Edition. Copyright © 2013 by General Mills, Minneapolis, Minnesota. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.