Get the inside scoop on all things kids and parenting on Long Island.
BloggersJennifer Berger Valerie Kellogg Beth Whitehouse Leema Thomas
Feeding the kids: BLT tomato soup
In my ongoing quest to find tasty, kid-friendly food appropriate for the whole family, this week I chose a delicious soup. I found the recipe in “Delicious Disney Just for Kids," by the Disney Chefs with Pam Brandon (Disney Editions; $14.95).
BLT Tomato Soup
(Serves 6 to 8)
- 8 slices of bacon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon finely diced carrots
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- Coarse salt, freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup cream
- 6 to 8 thin baguette slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Italian dressing
- 12 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded lettuce
- 8 tablespoons diced fresh tomatoes
- Chopped bacon, for garnish
1. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat. Remove from pan, drain on paper towels, coarsely chop and reserve for garnish. Reserve drippings.
2. Melt butter and stir in bacon drippings in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, onion and carrots, and cook until onion is transparent, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour.
3. Add chicken stock or broth, crushed tomatoes and tomato paste, blending all ingredients. Season with salt and pepper, and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes.
4. Remove from stove; puree in blender and return to pan. Add cream and simmer. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
5. To make croutons, drizzle baguette slices with olive oil, sprinkle with Italian dressing and bake at 350 F for 5 to 6 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven.
6. Ladle soup into bowls. Top with croutons and add other garnishes, as desired.