Get the inside scoop on all things kids and parenting on Long Island.
Dix Hills Fire Department shares 13 Halloween safety tips
Halloween can be lots of fun for little ones, but with this spooky holiday also comes the opportunity to encounter some potentially dangerous situations. The Dix Hills Fire Department shared these simple tips for making sure your family has a safe and sweet trick-or-treat:
1. Swords, knives and similar costume accessories should be short, soft and flexible.
2. Avoid trick-or-treating alone. Walk in groups, preferably with a trusted adult.
3. Fasten reflective tape to costumes and bags to help drivers see you.
4. Hold a flashlight while trick-or-treating to help you see others and others see you.
5. Always walk, and do not run from house to house.
6. Look both was before crossing the street, and use crosswalks when possible.
7. Wear well-fitting masks, costumes and shoes to avoid blocked vision, trips and falls.
8. Examine all treats for choking hazards and tampering before eating them.
9. Eat only factory-wrapped treats, and avoid eating homemade treats made by strangers.
10. Enter homes only if you are with a trusted adult.
11. Only visit well-lit houses, and do not stop at dark ones.
12. Never accept rides from strangers.
13. Never walk near lit candles, and be sure to wear flame-resistant costumes.