Get the inside scoop on all things kids and parenting on Long Island.
BloggersJennifer Berger Valerie Kellogg Beth Whitehouse Leema Thomas
Breast milk jewelry and other interesting parenting trends
As a mom of a 2-year-old daughter with another on the way, I'm always on the lookout for what's new in the parenting world, whether it's products, clothing, tips or tricks. When I came across a list of trends on BabyCenter.com I was a bit surprised by the things parents are buzzing about this year. Take a look:
1. Breast milk jewelry: Forget lockets with your baby's picture in it or a simple charm with children's initials. BabyCenter discovered that moms are having commemorative jewelry made — out of their actual breast milk. Offered on several sites, such as Etsy.com, the jewelry comes in pendants, bracelets and even breast milk soap.
2. Baby-wearing shirts: Is that a baby in your shirt? NuRoo, for example, designed a baby wearing shirt for skin-to-skin contact (see image above). Some moms in the BabyCenter community love it, saying it's the perfect answer to a baby's need for skin-to-skin contact, while others find it unnecessary.
3. Going crib-free: Among a dedicated segment of moms, going crib-free is the flavor of the week, according to BabyCenter. Not to be confused with co-sleeping, in this Montessori-style nursery, babies sleep on the floor and everything in the room is on the floor within their reach.
4. Skype baby showers: Thanks to Skype, families can be spread across thousands of miles but attend the same baby shower. Many families (especially military families) are using Skype to bring everyone together for special moments.
5. Birth wreaths: The latest trend sweeping across the South is to hang a wreath on the door of the hospital room. The wreath displays the baby’s name as well as some birth statistics and tiny socks, diapers and more. Some moms-to-be are taking this trend so seriously, they keep their wreath in the car alongside their hospital bag!