Get the inside scoop on all things kids and parenting on Long Island.
BloggersJennifer Berger Valerie Kellogg Beth Whitehouse Leema Thomas Patrick Whittle
8 things to do with your kids on Martin Luther King Day
Martin Luther King Day is approaching, and chances are you're scrambling to find something to do with your kids. If you're looking to get out of the house and have a little fun, here are a few things to do around Long Island on Martin Luther King Day, including family-friendly performances, crafts, indoor play, free events and more.
2. Go under the see with Disney's The Little Mermaid at Smithtown Center for the Performing Arts (2 E. Main St., Smithtown). Ariel and all your favorite ocean characters take you on an adventure in this children's production at 2 p.m. Price: $15.
3. Learn about the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. at the Long Island Children's Museum (11 Davis Ave., Garden City). Explore King's life and create artwork inspired by his speeches and visions of peace at 11 a.m., 1:30 p.m. and 3 p.m. Prices: $3 with $12 museum admission.
4. Watch Madagascar at the Cold Spring Harbor Whaling Museum (301 Main St., Cold Spring Harbor). At 11:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m., enjoy this animated film featuring the voices of Ben Stiller, Jada Pinkett Smith, Chris Rock and more; snacks will be provided. Design your own sailboat after the screening. Price: Free with museum admission ($6, $5 ages 5-18, seniors, $19 families).
5. Take a break and drop your kids off at Paint a Piece (6126 Jericho Tpke., Commack). From 11 a.m.-1 p.m., children will design a snowflake plate or mug, and enjoy pizza and refreshments. Must reserve a spot. Price: $30 plus tax, $5 deposit required at registration.
7. Enjoy arts and crafts at the Hicksville Library (169 Jerusalem Ave., Hicksville). Perfect for kids ages 5 and up: Using gem stones and acrylic paint on transparent film, ceate a winter-themed painting and picture frame. Price: Free; must register. Check with your local library for free children's events.
If you're still looking for ideas, check out 100 things to do with your kids on Long Island.