Get the inside scoop on all things kids and parenting on Long Island.
BloggersJennifer Berger Valerie Kellogg Beth Whitehouse Leema Thomas Patrick Whittle
5 Veterans Day events for kids
Monday is Veterans Day, and that means that the kids are off from school. Here are five fun events to keep your family entertained all day long:
1. A Letter to My Hero at Long Island Children's Museum (11 Davis Ave., Garden City) from 2 to 4 p.m. Kids can help honor America's heroes by sending them letters of thanks. Appropriate for all ages. Price: Free with museum admission.
2. School's Out! Veterans Day at Center for Science Teaching and Learning (1 Tanglewood Rd., Rockville Centre) from 9:30 to 11 a.m. Children ages 5 to 12 can explore nature and science with hands-on activities. Price: $50
3. Archaeological Dig at Maritime Explorium (101 East Broadway, Port Jefferson) from 1 to 5 p.m. Kids can learn how to use transects and quadrats to go on an archaeological dig right at the museum. Price: $5
4. Extreme Rec Day at Southampton Town Recreation Center (1370A Majors Path, Southampton) from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Kids can enjoy a day of arts and crafts, inflatable fun, kickball, board games, basketball and more. Admission includes lunch, snacks and refreshments. Price: $10
5. Pioneering Spirit at Science Museum of Long Island (1526 N. Plandome Rd., Manhasset) from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Kids can spend the day living like an early American. Under the supervision of the museum's teachers, children can dip candles, churn butter, make soap and more. Price: $60