Get the inside scoop on all things kids and parenting on Long Island.
BloggersJennifer Berger Valerie Kellogg Beth Whitehouse Leema Thomas
10 Labor Day activities for kids on Long Island
If you're looking to take a break from the beach or barbecues this weekend, there are many fun Labor Day events for families. From children's performances to exploring nature, horses, cultural entertainment, art and more, there's so much to do on Long Island.
1. The Hampton Classic Horse Show at The Hampton Classic (240 Snake Hollow Rd., Bridgehampton). Along with more than 1,600 horses as well as hunter, jumper and equitation competitions, families can enjoy an international food court, pony rides, a petting zoo and other special attractions on Friday through Sunday from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Price: Kids free on Saturday, otherwise $10, $20 carload, free kids 6 and younger.
2. Shinnecock Powwow at the Shinnecock Powwow Grounds (Westgate Road, Southampton). Kids and adults alike will enjoy storytelling, crafts, native foods, tribal dances and more on Friday from 3-11 p.m., Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m.-11 p.m. and Monday from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Price: $15, $10 ages 6-12, free ages 5 and younger.
3. Back At It at Smith Haven Mall (313 Smith Haven Mall, Lake Grove). Fun festivities to get kids into the back-to-school spirit with shopping advice, activities and more on Saturday from 1-3 p.m. Price: Free.
5. Family Adventures: Turtles, Snakes and Frogs, Oh My at Connetquot River State Park Preserve (Sunrise Highway, Oakdale). Learn about creatures in the wild including turtles, snakes, frogs and more, followed by a hike around the preserve on Saturday from 1:30-3 p.m. Price: $4, $3 children, free ages 3 and younger.
6. The Happy Clams Show at Beach Hut at Venetian Shores (850 Venetian Shores, Lindenhurst). On Saturday from 3-3:45 p.m., join family songwriter Lena Pennino and her husband Brian Smith for a fun, interactive musical performance. Price: Free; Babylon Town Beach Pass required for parking.
7. Fancy Nancy The Musical at Westhampton Beach Performing Arts Center (76 Main St., Westhampton Beach). This family-friendly performance is based on the popular children's books by Jan O'Connor on Sunday at 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. Price: $15-$25.
8. Mother Cabrini Italian Feast (LIE exit 53 and Wicks Rd., Brentwood). Families can enjoy fresh Italian food along with rides and games on Friday from 6-11 p.m., Saturday, Sunday and Monday from 3-11 p.m. Price: Free, $30 POP.
9. Broken? Fix It! at the Long Island Children's Museum (11 Davis Ave., Garden City). This hands-on exhibit allows children and adults to learn about the repair process when fixing things on Friday through Sunday from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Price: $12, free children younger than 1.
For more family fun ideas, check out 100 things every kid should do on Long Island.