LI kids rate top sports events of 2011
Photo credit: Newsday | DEREK JETER NOTCHES CAREER HIT NO. 3,000
July 9, 2011
Here, we rate the top big sports events of 2011:
1. The 2011 Little League World Series was won by a Huntington Beach (Southern California) team in a nerve wracking game that they won in the bottom of the sixth inning.
2. Green Bay Packers won the Super Bowl in Miami against the Steelers in a great game. The final score was Packers 31, Steelers 25.
3. Boston Bruins won the Stanley Cup, 4 games to 3 over the Vancouver Canucks.
4. Dallas Mavericks won the NBA Finals in Miami against the Miami Heat.
5. The University of Connecticut won the Big East at Madison Square Garden in a great game against Louisville. Kemba Walker is named tournament MVP.
6. Novak Djokovic won the U.S. Open in Queens against Rafael Nadal.
7. Albert Pujols picks up his 2,000 career hit against the Cubs at Busch Stadium. He is the fifth Cardinal player to get 2,000 hits, joining Stan Musial (3,630), Lou Brock (2,713), Rogers Hornsby (2,110), and Enos Slaughter (2,064).
8. Jose Reyes won the National League batting title in the last game of the season with the Mets and the stadium was literally tipping over from the cheering. And then he left us for Miami!
9. Robinson Cano won the 2011 home run derby at the all Star game defeating Adrian Gonzalez.
10. Derek Jeter hit his 3000th hit at Yankee Stadium off a Tampa Bay Rays’ David Price and we could hear the crowd from Long Island.
11. Robert Griffin III, from Baylor University, won the Heisman Trophy.
(1) Click to rate